Clothes for an Alaska Summer Trip

We traveled to Alaska in mid-July -- the warmest part of the year.  The highs were in the mid-60's, and the low was around 45 each night.  The Alaska residents considered this a heatwave!

Dress in Layers
You will get tired of hearing this when you ask for Alaska clothing advice, but it is true: Dress In Layers.  As a Floridian, I wasn't really sure what that meant, but after a few days I got the hang of it.

My layers included...
  • Jeans, or Wrangler cargo pants,
  • A t-shirt -- sometimes long-sleeved, sometimes short-sleeved,
  • A Cabela's trail shirt - either canvas or broadcloth,
  • A fleece vest,
  • If needed, a windbreaker, or a lined-jacket.
  • A cap or hat.
Your humble blogger (identity blurred) wearing his layers
on the beach in Homer, Alaska.  Under the windbreaker is
a long-sleeved shirt and T-shirt.  

I would "layer" depending on the temperature, moisture, and altitude.  But I would always keep my "layers" in the car, if needed.

By the way, Alaskans call this style of dress "rugged."  For example, if someone invites you out to eat, and you say "What should I wear?," they might answer "dress rugged."  This means that jeans and button-up flannel or canvas shirts are okay.

Here are things that I packed, but didn't need: short-sleeved button-up shirts, a nice dress shirt, khaki pants (or better.)  I wished I would have packed more T-shirts.

Shoes (and socks)
People in Alaska take their shoes seriously. If you plan on doing any walking-around on trails in Alaska, then you need the right shoes.  (Many tourist areas are trail-based.)

You will need at least one pair of good, waterproof shoes.  We're not talking about rubber-boots.  Waterproof shoes look just like regular hikers or even sneakers.  My advice would be to avoid the steel-toe boots.  They are a bit heavier, and I certainly didn't need steel protection (or the extra weight.)

Carolina 6" 4 x 4 Hikers (waterproof - composite toe)
The ground is moist in many places, and you might want to wade through small puddles.  You don't want wet feet!  Maybe you've never shopped for waterproof shoes.  They're pretty easy to find.  Here are some good online stores...
As you could imagine, many stores in Alaska sell waterproof shoes.  The Fred Meyer in Soldotna had an excellent selection at competitive prices.  Of course, those new shoes won't be broken-in when you buy them, so my suggestion is to buy in advance, and break them in at home.

Cabela's X4 Adventure II Waterproof Hikers
Do not assume that all hiking and walking shoes are waterproof.  Read the description.  I took a pair a Cabela's low hikers, and a pair of Carolina mid-hikers.  I broke them in for a few weeks before the Alaska trip.  I also took a pair of casual-dressy shoes, which never made it out of my luggage.

You need good socks, too.  They don't have to be professional hiking socks.  But, you will appreciate that extra cushion if you go on long walks.

Wearing Shoes Indoors
In Alaska, you leave your shoes outside, or in the "mud-room."  This is true at bed-and-breakfasts, and guest houses (not hotels.)  So, you might need a pair of rubber-bottomed slippers to wear around your room.