Hiking at Ptarmigan Creek - To Bear, or Not to Bear ???

We made it back to Teddy's around 5:30 PM, which left us with plenty of daylight in the Alaska Day.  The Ptarmigan Creek Trail is less than a mile from the B & B, so we pulled-in to take a walk.  It is a very nice trail, good for a casual walk.  We hiked about two miles in along the creek.


We met two people on the trail.  The woman we met at the trail entrance was in a hurry.  She was looking for berries, but was concerned about bears on the trail.  She walked briskly ahead of us for a few minutes, then retreated back to the parking lot.  About a mile down the trail we met a worker who had been making improvements to the trail.  He said he hadn't seen a bear in his two weeks working on the trail.

All this leads to the question you ask yourself every time you hike in Alaska: Will I see a bear, and do I want to?

Let's face it - seeing a bear is on the top of most Alaska tourists' lists.  But locals will tell you that bears are best viewed at a distance, with respect.  Alaskans carry bells (often sleigh bells) and whistles to let the bears know that they are on the hiking trail.  (Presumably, the bear does not want contact with humans.)  Bear spray (hot pepper spray) is also a prudent choice, and can be purchased locally.  We had neither, so we stayed on well-used trails, and clapped our hands and whistled a lot.  Next time I go I will have all the "bells and whistles" and bear spray, too!

As a lifelong Florida resident, I have heard many tourists express the desire to see an alligator in the wild.  My answer is always, "No, you don't."  Seeing a 6-ft. reptile with teeth might be exciting to a tourist, but it can be a real nuisance to a resident.  An alligator in your local lake or pond usually means that you have to be careful every time you step outside your door, and you'll probably need to call the game warden before too long.  That's probably the same with bears.

This big fella was trotting straight toward
me.  Good thing I was at the AWCC.
And yes, there was a fence!




















I saw many bears while I was in Alaska: black bears, brown bears, grizzly bears, even polar bears!  I saw them at the Alaska Zoo, and the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center.  (I did see a black bear crossing the Seward Highway, which was neat.)  I am satisfied that my personal "bear experience" was in a controlled setting, and I think I'll be okay if I never see a bear in the wild.

At the zoo in Anchorage.  Wild animal or not?
You can debate it, but I'm good with it!

















Now, where can I find some sleigh bells in Florida?